The Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Thankyou to the following sponsors for their generous support of 'The Barney'
Please go to the BARNEY MULLINS FACE BOOK PAGE for up to date race information.
Race results for the 2016 Event : https://secure.tiktok.biz/results/BarneyMullinsOceanSwim/2016
BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC
10AM SUNDAY MARCH 5 2017
Make sure the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC is part of your swim calendar this summer!
This year we are again proud to be a part of the Oceanswims fine ocean swimmers [FOS] series and by entering the Barney Mullins Swim Classic you will have the opportunity to win [by random draw] some fabulous prizes kindly donated by Oceanswims. Participants must be in attendance to collect prizes. All entrants in the swim will receive a water bottle and swim cap. NEW in 2016 - we have introduced a "MATES WAVE" : swim with your family or friends regardless of gender or age [min age 13yrs]. NB- Swim fins are permitted in the Mates Wave. In 2016 there will once again be an ELITE category for male and female swimmers.The 1st male and 1st female place getter in the Elite category will each be the lucky recipients of a $500 start up account voucher kindly donated by Freshwater Community Bank® Branch of Bendigo Bank
To Enter the Barney Mullins Swim Classic online: please go to Oceanswims.com
BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC
Freshwater is one of Sydney’s most beautiful northern beaches and is generally protected from some of the larger swells by its north and south headland. White sands and crystal clear water help to ensure an enjoyable swim to be had by all. Come and enjoy the beach at Freshie in addition to the post race refreshments and presentations.
Distance 1.5 km
Organiser Freshwater SLSC
Who was Barney Mullins
The Barney Mullins Swim Classic [The Swim] is named after Life Member and Freshwater swim legend George ‘ Barney’ Mullins. The race up until 2007 was restricted to Freshwater SLSC members. Barney passed away in October 1995 and his son George travels from Queensland each year to attend race day.
Persons aged 13 years and above on the day of The Swim who have adequately trained for the event.
Elite,13-17yrs, 18-29yrs, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+ - male and female plus newly introduced in 2016 a back of the pack 'Mates Wave'
Enter Online: please go to Oceanswims.com
Please contact office@beyondbreak if you would like an entry form emailed to you.
8.30am-9.30am at the Freshwater SLSC, Kooloora Ave Freshwater.
All swimmers MUST register and receive their race number by 9.30am.
All entrants will receive a water bottle and swim cap. This year we have introduced an ELITE category for male and female swimmers. The 1st male and 1st female place getter of the Elite category will be the lucky recipients of a $500 start up account kindly donated by Freshwater Community Bank® Branch of Bendigo Bank.
Swimmers in the Elite category are NOT eligible for age group prizes.
There will also be prizes for male and female age group winners 13-17yrs, 18-29yrs, 30+, 40+,50+, 60+. and a Mates wave random draw prize. Plus there will be lots of fabulous random draw prizes for all entrants.
Risk Warning pursuant to Civil Liability Act 2002 (section 5M)
Ocean swims are demanding and potentially dangerous events. Risks include drowning, natural obstacles, man-made or -controlled obstacles, and marine attack. The Swim takes place in the open ocean. Swimmers enter at their own risk. You should have a medical check prior to entry, and prepare for the event by training. Water safety craft will patrol the course for the duration of The Swim. If a swimmer feels unable to proceed further in the swim, the attention of the water safety personnel should be sought.
The Swim organisers cannot guarantee your safety. The Swim organisers reserve the right to bring to shore by the water patrol any entrants which they deem to be incapable of competing further in the event. While in the competition area - including the beach and water environments - entrants must follow all directions of Warringah Council Lifeguards and The Swim organiser’s officials and water safety personnel.
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC [The Swim] even if they do notcomplete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids e.g. flippers, snorkels or floatation clothing devices (including wetsuits) if they wish to be eligible for a prize.
- If the water temperature is 16C or below on the day of The Swim the Race Referee will permit the wearing of wetsuits. This will not preclude swimmers from prize eligibility.
- All swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or nylon and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other 'high-tech' material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs.
- "Rashies" worn for protection from the sun and/or stingers are permitted provided they are not made from neoprene or any other "high-tech" material or substance or any material with any flotation support.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from The Swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing The Swimmer has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable The Swim may be cancelled without notice. Entry fees are NON refundable.
- Prize winners must be present to receive their prize.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of The Swim.