Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Barney Mullins Swim Classic 2024
The Barney Mullins Swim Classic was established in 1986 and is named after Life Member and Freshwater swim legend George ‘ Barney’ Mullins. The race up until 2007 was restricted to Freshwater SLSC members. Barney passed away in October 1995 and his son, George, travels from Queensland each year to attend race day, while Barney’s daughter, Trish, travels from the NSW North Coast to remember their dad. Barney Mullins was responsible for the outstanding run of swimmers and R&R competitors to come out of Freshwater over many years.
Organisers say: “Freshwater is one of Sydney’s most beautiful northern beaches and is generally protected from some of the larger swells by its north and south headlands. White sands and crystal clear water help to ensure an enjoyable swim to be had by all. Come and enjoy the beautiful beach at Freshie in addition to the post-race refreshments and presentations“.
Enter online before the day via the Ocean Swims website at https://oceanswims.com/event/freshwater-ocean-swim/.
Entries can be made on the morning of The Swim at Freshwater surf club, but we recommend entry online to avoid the rush!
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC [The Swim] even if they do not complete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids e.g. flippers, snorkels or floatation clothing devices (including wetsuits) if they wish to be eligible for a prize.
- If the water temperature is 16C or below on the day of The Swim the Race Referee will permit the wearing of wetsuits. This will not preclude swimmers from prize eligibility (if any).
- All swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or nylon and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other ‘high-tech’ material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Jammer-type costumes are acceptable. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs.
- “Rashies” worn for protection from the sun and/or stingers are permitted provided they are not made from neoprene or any other “high-tech” material or substance or any material with any flotation support.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from The Swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing The Swim or has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable The Swim may be cancelled without notice.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of The Swim.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
This is the link for your web results for the 2023 Swim
Past results can be found here: https://thetimingguysresults.com/history/BarneyMullinsOceanSwim/2022/