Barney Mullins Swim Classic – 2022 date announced – Sunday 20th March
Barney Mullins Swim Classic 2022
The Barney Mullins Swim Classic was established in 1986 and is named after Life Member and Freshwater swim legend George ‘ Barney’ Mullins. The race up until 2007 was restricted to Freshwater SLSC members. Barney passed away in October 1995 and his son, George, travels from Queensland each year to attend race day, while Barney’s daughter, Trish, travels from the NSW North Coast to remember their dad. Barney Mullins was responsible for the outstanding run of swimmers and R&R competitors to come out of Freshwater over many years.
Organisers say: “Freshwater is one of Sydney’s most beautiful northern beaches and is generally protected from some of the larger swells by its north and south headlands. White sands and crystal clear water help to ensure an enjoyable swim to be had by all. Come and enjoy the beautiful beach at Freshie in addition to the post-race refreshments and presentations“.
What you need to know…
- Event– Barney Mullins Swim Classic
- Organiser– Freshwater SLSC
- Distance– 1.5km
- Venue– Freshwater Beach, Sydney northern beaches, registration and swim HQ at surf club
- Time/Date– Sunday, March 20, 2022, 10am race start.
- COVID Info – This year the race will be a “swim and go” event, without the usual presentations and other on beach activities. Start waves will be spaced further apart than usual. Competitors are requested to observe social distancing protocols and to exit the beach shortly after completing their swim.
- Registration on the day – All entrants must register in the park behind the club house from 8:30-9:30am to receive their colour coded swim cap and timing anklet. Caps are provided courtesy of the Community Bank at Freshwater.
- Entry fee– $30. There will be no late entries accepted on race day this year due to COVID restrictions. You must enter online via www.oceanswims.com
- Online entries close– 3pm, Saturday, March 19, 2022
- Under 18 swimmers– Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent’s email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions– Freshwater is an open beach protected by headlands on both sides. There generally is a strong run-out at the northern end, where this swim starts, and which provides assistance through the break. As an open beach, there are shifting banks, gutters and rips on most days. When the tide is low, there can be a long run in and back out through shallow water.
- Minimum age– 13. All entrants must have trained adequately for the event. See note above about consent for Under 18 swimmers.
- Categories– 13-17, 18-29yrs, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+ – male and female, “Mates”, in wave starts.
- Mates wave– For families and groups of friends who wish to swim together, irrespective of their ages. If you wish to be included in this wave, please select the appropriate entry option in the online entry portal.
- Transport and parking– Regular buses (route 139) run hourly from Manly Wharf. If you drive, make sure you park legally and you pay the meter (where necessary).
- Water bottles– Freshwater will not be giving away water bottles this season, in the interest of environmental sensitivity, so please bring your own water bottles.
- More info– See Freshwater SLSC website for more info… Click here… And check out the Barney Mullins Swim Classic Facebook page… Click here
- Check progress online entries– For an up to date list of progress online entries… Closer to swim day
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC [The Swim] even if they do not complete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids e.g. flippers, snorkels or floatation clothing devices (including wetsuits) if they wish to be eligible for a prize.
- If the water temperature is 16C or below on the day of The Swim the Race Referee will permit the wearing of wetsuits. This will not preclude swimmers from prize eligibility (if any).
- All swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or nylon and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other ‘high-tech’ material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Jammer-type costumes are acceptable. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs.
- “Rashies” worn for protection from the sun and/or stingers are permitted provided they are not made from neoprene or any other “high-tech” material or substance or any material with any flotation support.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from The Swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing The Swim or has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable The Swim may be cancelled without notice.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of The Swim.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Past results can be found here: https://thetimingguysresults.com/history/BarneyMullinsOceanSwim/2020