Barney Mullins Swim Classic 2021 – Sat 10th April – CANCELLED
The surf has popped up overnight and the lifeguards have advised the conditions are not suitable for a public ocean swim today. We are SAD TO ADVISE that after much planning and organisation the Freshwater SLSC must cancel the Barney Mullins Ocean Swim for 2021. 😔
We are pleased to advise our alternative date for the Barney Mullins Swim Classic.
The Swim will now be held at 10am on Saturday 10th April, 2021.
Existing entrants do not need to do anything. Your entry remains valid, and so all you will need to do it turn up on the day, register and enjoy the Swim.
Thanks again for your interest and support of the Barney Mullins Swim Classic.
We look forward to seeing you on the day.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Barney Mullins Swim Classic – Notice to Swimmers – (3rd Update) Saturday 6 March 2021 (3.30pm)
Following an assessment of ocean conditions this afternoon, we advise that the Barney Mullins Swim Classic will not be held tomorrow morning as planned.
Freshwater beach has been closed by Council Lifeguards and we are advised that the swell is forecast to continue building and that the beach will likely be closed tomorrow as well.
The Organising Committee has a been working on a back-up date for the Swim, which we hope to be able to share with you next week, following consultation with Council and other parties.
Once again, we appreciate your support of the Barney Mullins Swim Classic and would like to thank you for your continued understanding.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Barney Mullins Swim Classic – Notice to Swimmers – Forecast Ocean Conditions (2nd Info Update) Fri 5/3/2021 4.30pm
Following on from our previous notice, we would like to inform you that we are still preparing to hold the Barney Mullins Swim Classic on Sunday 7 March.
Strong swells are still forecast for the day which may impact the running of the Swim. As previously noted, swimmers’ safety is of the utmost concern. If it’s likely to be dangerous, the Swim won’t be held on Sunday.
We will be conducting a further assessment of conditions at Freshwater on Saturday afternoon. If it is obvious that conditions are not likely to moderate in time for the Swim, we will send notice via email and our various web pages to swimmers.
If it appears that there is a prospect of holding the Swim following the review on Saturday, we will then make another assessment on Sunday morning at 7am. At that time, if the Swim needs to be postponed, we will notify swimmers by text message (as well as updating our web sites).
Once again, we appreciate your support of the Barney Mullins Swim Classic and would like to thank you for your understanding, while we navigate the challenges of Mother Nature. It’s all part of the journey…
Barney Mullins Swim Classic Organising Committee
Barney Mullins Swim Classic – Notice to Swimmers – Forecast Ocean Conditions (1st Info Update) Thurs 4/3/2021
We have received some queries about the status of the Swim this Sunday given there are large seas forecast for the weekend.
The Swim organisers are aware of a significant swell event that is forecast that may impact the running of the Swim. We would like to make sure there is every opportunity to hold the Swim as scheduled, but swimmers’ safety is of the utmost concern. If it’s likely to be dangerous, the Swim won’t be held on Sunday.
At this stage, we are still preparing to run the event. However, we will continue to monitor the conditions and may need to cancel or postpone the swim at short notice.
We will provide an update on the forecast conditions and the status of the Swim on Friday, via email to entrants. Information will also be made available on our Facebook page, Freshwater SLSC club website and the OceanSwims website.
If we are not able to run the Swim on Sunday, our preference will be to postpone and find an alternative date soon after. The Organising Committee is considering what options are available to us at the moment.
Also, please accept our apologies for any confusion regarding the cap on entries. We have had to limit entries this year in order to comply with COVID management plan requirements. If the Swim is postponed we may be able to revisit the current entry cap.
We appreciate your support of the Barney Mullins Swim Classic and would like to thank you for your understanding, while we navigate the challenges of Mother Nature.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic, Organising Committee
Barney Mullins Swim Classic 2021
The Barney Mullins Swim Classic was established in 1986 and is named after Life Member and Freshwater swim legend George ‘ Barney’ Mullins. The race up until 2007 was restricted to Freshwater SLSC members. Barney passed away in October 1995 and his son, George, travels from Queensland each year to attend race day, while Barney’s daughter, Trish, travels from the NSW North Coast to remember their dad. Barney Mullins was responsible for the outstanding run of swimmers and R&R competitors to come out of Freshwater over many years.
Organisers say: “Freshwater is one of Sydney’s most beautiful northern beaches and is generally protected from some of the larger swells by its north and south headlands. White sands and crystal clear water help to ensure an enjoyable swim to be had by all. Come and enjoy the beautiful beach at Freshie in addition to the post-race refreshments and presentations“.
What you need to know…
- Event– Barney Mullins Swim Classic
- Organiser– Freshwater SLSC
- Distance– 1.5km
- Venue– Freshwater Beach, Sydney northern beaches, registration and swim HQ at surf club
- Time/Date– Sunday, March 7, 2021, 10am race start.
- COVID Info – This year the race will be a “swim and go” event, without the usual presentations and other on beach activities. Start waves will be spaced further apart than usual. Competitors are requested to observe social distancing protocols and to exit the beach shortly after completing their swim.
- Registration on the day – All entrants must register in the park behind the club house from 8:30-9:30am to receive their colour coded swim cap and timing anklet. Caps are provided courtesy of the Community Bank at Freshwater.
- Entry fee– $30. There will be no late entries accepted on race day this year due to COVID restrictions. You must enter online via www.oceanswims.com
- Online entries close– 3pm, Saturday, March 6, 2021
- Under 18 swimmers– Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent’s email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions– Freshwater is an open beach protected by headlands on both sides. There generally is a strong run-out at the northern end, where this swim starts, and which provides assistance through the break. As an open beach, there are shifting banks, gutters and rips on most days. When the tide is low, there can be a long run in and back out through shallow water.
- Minimum age– 13. All entrants must have trained adequately for the event. See note above about consent for Under 18 swimmers.
- Categories– 13-17, 18-29yrs, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+ – male and female, “Mates”, in wave starts.
- Mates wave– For families and groups of friends who wish to swim together, irrespective of their ages. If you wish to be included in this wave, please select the appropriate entry option in the online entry portal.
- Transport and parking– Regular buses (route 139) run hourly from Manly Wharf. If you drive, make sure you park legally and you pay the meter (where necessary).
- Water bottles– Freshwater will not be giving away water bottles this season, in the interest of environmental sensitivity, so please bring your own water bottles.
- More info– See Freshwater SLSC website for more info… Click here… And check out the Barney Mullins Swim Classic Facebook page… Click here
- Check progress online entries– For an up to date list of progress online entries… Closer to swim day
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC [The Swim] even if they do not complete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids e.g. flippers, snorkels or floatation clothing devices (including wetsuits) if they wish to be eligible for a prize.
- If the water temperature is 16C or below on the day of The Swim the Race Referee will permit the wearing of wetsuits. This will not preclude swimmers from prize eligibility (if any).
- All swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or nylon and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other ‘high-tech’ material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Jammer-type costumes are acceptable. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs.
- “Rashies” worn for protection from the sun and/or stingers are permitted provided they are not made from neoprene or any other “high-tech” material or substance or any material with any flotation support.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from The Swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing The Swim or has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable The Swim may be cancelled without notice.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of The Swim.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
NEW BARNEY MULLINS LOGO – Winner announced
Full 2020 results can be found at the following link: https://thetimingguysresults.com/BarneyMullinsOceanSwim/2020
Past results can be found here: https://thetimingguysresults.com/history/BarneyMullinsOceanSwim/2020
These links are also on the Freshwater SLSC Barney Mullins Swim Classic event page: https://www.freshwaterslsc.com/the-barney-mullins-swim-classic-2020-2/